This summer, Canadian-based financial technology companies have been competing for Western Canada’s first major Fintech Award.
Sponsored by Digital Commerce Bank, the inaugural Calgary Fintech Award application process saw nearly 50 firms put their hat in the ring.
A third-party evaluation from a committee of fintech experts scored applicants on metrics like value proposition, current traction, and key milestones. Now the competition has been reduced to 24 finalists.
Throughout August, these companies have experienced multiple fintech-specific sessions designed to evaluate their business. The top 10 will next access a roster of world-class advisors and mentors for in-person workshops and events on topics like pitching and more.
Below we highlight the top 24 Canadian fintech finalists and the essence of their startup in their own words.
- Ownest: We are passionate about providing an uncomplicated and streamlined process that empowers our partners. To make the business process easier for consumers and businesses. To drive quality consumers directly from the point-of-sale in seconds.
- Credit App: We’ve built a modern platform to securely and efficiently manage data transfer for consumer credit applications. To date, we have helped over 125,000 consumers process over $2 billion applications for automotive, residential rentals.
- Yield Exchange: Canada’s first B2B digital platform for organizations to access competitive GIC rates with speed, transparency, and ease. Our platform acts as an online GIC marketplace for investors such as Canadian municipalities, universities, school boards, hospitals, and large corporations to access competitive rates directly from our partnering financial institutions.
- altruWisdom: Uses digital technology to help Canadians become financially resilient. Through our subscription-based online platform, members can access tools, resources and personal and group financial coaching to help them make smart money decisions.
- Integrity Technology Solutions: ITS is a high-growth Calgary-based audit automation technology company that focuses on eliminating some of the biggest financial challenges in the energy accounting, audit, and joint venture space.
- OneVest: An embedded wealth management platform that enables any enterprise to offer personalized investment experiences to their customers via a simple API.
- Polity: Polity is a 2-sided marketplace for democratic elections. It provides voters a central hub to learn and engage; and it provides candidates a portal to crowdfund and reach voters.
- Chroma: A consumer financial technology company building powerful financial tools to reduce wealth inequality for working Canadians.
- Quickly: We provide a platform that streamlines the transactional relationship between buyers and sellers while matching enterprise level capital providers, like banks and institutional lenders, with SMBs that would not normally have the capacity to access these sources.
- Painworth: The world’s first automated solution for settling your personal injury claim.
- Hardbacon: A fintech startup whose mission is to help Canadians make better financial decisions.
- Pocket Finance: Deepening ongoing engagement between financial professionals and their clients with the right information at the right time.
- Village Wellth: Accelerating the path to small business ownership by creating a trusted digital environment for buyers and sellers to have seamless access to each other. Our platform pre-qualifies acquisition entrepreneurs helping them manage their acquisition identity, gain credibility with sellers and receive high-quality deal flow in just a few clicks.
- Flahmingo: Flahmingo is a DIY investment app that supports commission-free fractional investing, where users can begin investing with as little as $1.
- Remitbee: The largest Canadian headquartered for online international money transfers and currency exchange.
- PayShepherd: The contract management platform manufacturing facilities rely on to maintain healthy relationships with their contractors.
- Propra: An all-in-one property management platform that reduces operating costs and increases profitability while elevating the tenant experience.
- Miq: A financial platform that enables cooperatives to pool funds, save and build credit.
- VOTO: An engagement platform that helps businesses and creatives increase conversion rates on digital engagement campaigns through the power of charitable giving.
- Helm: Enables faster, more visually intuitive, and collaborative cash flow management.
- Plastk Financial: Provides an integrated fintech platform that facilitates our customers getting access to the credit market with our secured Credit Card, earn premium reward points and provide an exceptional experience.
- Zenbase: A flexible rent platform that eliminates late fees and predatory financing as a whole.
- Fillipfleet: The first digital payment platform built for business fleets.
- YRPlans: Creating better financial outcomes for Canadians workers with The Smart Benefit, an employee attraction and retention tool that lets employers help employees with debt repayment.
Digital Commerce Bank partnered with Platform Calgary last year in order to launch the annual Fintech Award in Calgary.
Through the partnership, DCBank is the title sponsor of the Fintech Award, and together with Platform Calgary aims to accelerate the growth of fintech startups and transform Calgary into a global hub for fintech innovation. DCBank committed $1 million toward prizes across four years.